Tuesday, December 29, 2015

10 weeks post-op: New X-rays and New Toe exercise

The Holidays are here! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

It is now about 10 weeks post-op and everything is still going well. I got another set of X-rays on my feet and Dr. Wu has said all my bone positions are still looking good. Unfortunately, I was not able to get just one X-ray image with both feet (something to do with how they bill and code X-rays...sigh...), so I had to take two images, one of each foot. Cost more $$ but what can I do? See below for my current X-Rays.


My casts are still fairly secure so I have not been able to take them off, which of course means I still cannot wet my feet. Dr. Wu said I should not remove the casts until they slip off very easily. If I remove the casts too soon, then they will be difficult to put back on. My toe bending exercises are getting easier. I find that both my right and left foot are getting more flexible and it is easier to get them into the 90 degree positions.

I had to also start a new big toe exercise, which Dr. Wu says is to help strengthen the big toe muscles and also help me learn to walk again in the correct way. As I mentioned before, I've been mainly using the front padded portion under my toes to walk, which helped alleviate the pain from the bunion. Now that I have better bone alignment, I can use my big toe for walking, which is apparently how proper walking should be. This new big toe exercise involves me placing the toes of both feet on top of a thin book. I then contract my toes as tight as possible, with emphasis on putting weight specifically on the big toes. I lean forward (or as Rachel says - the Michael Jackson defying gravity move) to add more weight to the big toes, and hold this position for 1-2 min. I'm supposed to do this exercise 10 times a day, but I haven't been able to accomplish that as of yet. Work has been quite busy and I've only been able to do the exercise about 4 times a day. Somehow my routine needs to change to increase the frequency of this exercise.


The other good news is that I'm starting to see some of my calluses disappear! I'm so excited about that as I've never thought they would go away. It is fascinating to see the changes that are happening. I look forward to all the different milestones that will be coming from this recovery.

Because I have been staying off my feet so well, Dr. Wu has given me the okay to stop using my crutches or wheelchair while I'm walking around my office area - as long as I walk very slowly. This is to help increase the amount of weight bearing steps and hopefully will make it easier for me to transition out of the cast in another few weeks. Transitioning out of the casts will need to be done carefully as there is a risk of fracturing the 2nd metatarsal bone if I walk too quickly too soon. That is all the updates I have for now. Will do my best to check in again in a couple weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment